Lewis's Shift Training Blog

Monday, July 18, 2016 0 Comments A+ a-






During the 4th year of our Mechanical Apprenticeship you are required to perform the role of a Mechanical Shift Fitter for six months, working 12 hour day and night shifts. The role of a Shift Fitter is to rapidly respond to emergency breakdowns within the factory. The job is required to be done as quickly and as safely as possible so that the loss in production is minimised.
During my six months I was placed of D-Shift with Mechanical Fitters Alan Brass, Liam Doyle and Robert Hawkins. For the first three months of my shift I worked with Liam on the Rawboard side of the factory, this is where the recycled or new material is made into manufactured board.  During this period of time we responded to emergency breakdowns, which included changing the intermediate belt on the Conti line and then during this same shift, we worked with the Electrical Maintenance department on changing the motor that powered the mixers on the Conti line.
The following three months I worked with Robert on the Upgrading lines, this is where the Rawboard is pressed with impregnated paper to produce the finished board. During these shifts we went to many breakdowns, including the rebuilding on the D-Line press when cracks were found in it. Another job we performed was the repair on A-Line’s moving carriage when it was crashed into the press.
During my six months of shift work I learnt and experienced a lot within the factory and would like to thank D-shift for making it an enjoyable experience.  I have recently completed my apprenticeship and am now working as a qualified Mechanical Fitter and would like to thank the Mechanical Department for getting me to where I am.
I hope you enjoyed my blog! Keep an eye out for our next one from another member of the team.      
In the meantime why not:
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram @eggerukcareers